Sunday, March 18, 2007

My Poets

One of them, at least. We're in the middle of our poetry unit and my kiddos are coming up with some pretty good stuff.
Here's one of Malik's. More to come if I remember to post :)

Why?
Why in a big world
Is there fighting and tears in people's eyes?
I can't think that you can just be born in a world
Where people fight
Fist in your face
Why and again why do people do gang banging?
That is the question no one knows
So I ask why.

I wish I could scan the picture he drew to go along with it.
We're doing free verse, focusing on content rather than rhyme or rhythm or anything like that. That will come this week when we start writing raps. They can't wait....

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am continually amazed at the "stuff" you deal with on a daily basis. It makes our lives seems so comfortable and boring here in the midwest (but I like it that way). It is so sad that so many kids live in such threatening worlds everyday. Keep up the good fight, I am sure you are making an impact even if it isn't always obvious.
Kristin