Saturday, May 24, 2008

Too Fast

The only 2 words that can accurately describe how the end of the year is shaping up.
The days fly by, and somewhere between Monday and Friday are moments where I try to fill them with everything I can; knowledge, confidence, courage...wisdom.
On Friday they met my parents - interviewed them for 45 minutes about Kansas and life where I grew up. I'd never seen them so engaged in 2 people for such a long time.
My 5th graders graduate 4 weeks from Monday.
20 days, minus PD days, 2 half days, and all of the school they miss at the end of the year, and our time is almost done.
Panic
- where did the last 2 years go? Did I do enough? Give enough? Will they forget? Will they be angry when I leave? What does the future have in store for them...and me?
There's only so much I can control, and after June 28th I have to trust someone else to teach them.
The thought of that makes me physically sick.

2 comments:

Skolnik said...

I'm glad you're not leaving teaching. I am a TFA '95. I spent my first 2 years with one group (2nd-3rd grade) and left the school a year later. Two years ago I went to the high school graduation of 10 of those kids from that group. I hadn't seen them in a decade. They cried, I sobbed, their parents cried at our reunion. They were my first babies and there'll never be another group like that. It truly was one of the most fulfilling, joyful days of my life. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear more about your new position. What Grade will you have and how long have you known?
I look forward to hearing from you!
Tessa