Sunday, July 06, 2008

Reflection from the Mouths of Those Who Made the Experience

Chris's reader's notebook went from being covered with gang graffiti to the following poem (not originally written by him...):
I can overcome my fears
I can buy for the hungry
I can help stop pollution
I can give to the poor
I can be what I want
I can use my head
I can give advice
I can receive
I can behave
I can listen
I can think
I can teach
I can know
I can give
I can feel
I can see
I can

I asked him if I could have it. He asked why.
"To remember one of the smartest 11 year olds I've ever met," I said.

2 comments:

Teacha said...

Awwww! I love it. And I love how you praised and encouraged him!

Do you know who wrote it? I'd love to make it into a poster to put on the wall.

Julie said...

I'm not sure who wrote it - I just googled it and found out it wasn't his :)
Sorry I couldn't be more help!